Southampton Sergeant Shares How He Survived His Battle With Heart Disease At Peconic Bay Medical Center In Riverhead Friday

Southampton Sergeant Shares How He Survived His Battle With Heart Disease At Peconic Bay Medical Center In Riverhead Friday

Stanley Katz, the chair of cardiology and chief of interventional cardiology at the Riverhead hospital, noted that heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women in the United States. is muscle, Dr. Katz said, explaining that it imperative that patients not ignore symptoms of cardiac related distress, which include shortness of breath, chest pain and fatigue. ignore symptoms. that is exactly what Sgt. Cavanagh did when he went fishing with a friend in October, carrying up a hill nearly 100 pounds of salmon they caught. He was out of breath, and he thought, getting out of shape. wasn until approximately four weeks later daily exercise, and consistent chest pain Sgt. Cavanagh went to his regular physician to get his flu shot, and finally came to grips with the truth. told him about the pressure in my chest when I was running, and he said, you kidding me? Are you nuts? Why were you running? You going to the cardiologist right now! an hour, he found himself face to face with Dr. Katz, who told him that he had a 90 percent blockage in a coronary artery and needed emergency triple bypass surgery. Katz said, get his wife, Sgt. Cavanagh said. thing I know, I was on the ambulance to Southside Hospital. never been overweight, and having no history of heart disease in his family, Sgt. Cavanagh was in shock. he had ignored it for another month, he wouldn be here to tell his story, Dr. Katz said on Friday. is the first symptom of heart disease. Cavanagh is one of several dozen East End patients to be treated by cardiologists at the Riverhead hospital since the center cardiac catheterization lab opened on October 16. It is used to both diagnose and treat cardiovascular conditions. a privilege to have [the cath lab] available on the East End of Long Island, Dr. Katz said, noting that about 15 percent of patients with heart disease will require bypass surgery. The other 85 percent likely will require only a stent procedure, he said, which leaves a tiny metal sleeve in place to keep a blocked artery open. have seen miracles, said PBMC Vice President Susan Somerville. quite amazing. Cavanagh will go for six month check ups at PBMC and expects to return to work on Saturday for the first time since his surgery. Cavanagh is no stranger to fear, but he said he never expected to be diagnosed with heart disease: goes to show you that you just never know.

1. UPDATE: Southampton Village Police Say Additional Threat Led To School Lock Out 17 comments